Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Bird's Nest Toast and Egg with Grilled Tomato

This is one of my favorite simple and easy but still look really fancy breakfasts.

I am pretty sure that there is a fancy name for what this is called, but I've always called it Bird's Nest. I don't know where I even heard that, I may have made it up, but I like it.



Bird's Nest Toast and Egg

1 piece of whole wheat bread
1 egg
butter or olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

  1. Heat a skillet to medium
  2. Light butter/oil both sides of the bread.
  3. Cut a hole in the middle of the bread
  4. When the skillet is hot, put the bread on it and also crack an egg into the middle of the hole
  5. When the toast and the egg are browned, flip the nest over.
  6. Salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Remove from heat when the egg and toast are browned on the other side again
The inside of the egg will likely still be a bit runny, but I like that, since since the toast is likely to get a bit dry, the runny yoke is great for dipping.

Serve with slices of grilled tomatoes (easily done. Just slice some tomatoes, and before you turn of the oven heat, sear one side of the tomato, then the other. Salt, pepper, and a dash of basil do wonders on it, as well.)

I also like to toast in the pan the extra circle of bread that has been removed from the bread. It makes the meal more filling, and you can get creative with the garnishes.

1 comment:

  1. In general, I'm not a tomato lover. But I'm starting to convert, and this dish looks like it could help me along. Mm mm!

    ReplyDelete