Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

White Chili


Since winter has refused to leave us in these 'northern parts', there's only one thing to do. Make soup. I have many favorites, and white chili is one of them. I usually use ground turkey, but I didn't have any and there wasn't any on sale so I just cut up chicken into really small pieces. It's easier to do if it's still partially frozen. One of the recipes I've used in the past call for a jar of salsa verde. It's tasty, but very spicy so my kids don't like it. This one is more mild, if you or your kids are sensitive to spice, reduce the cayenne pepper, or add it after you serve them. But if I do say so myself, that flavor really makes the dish!

White Chili:
Saute onion, garlic, red pepper (I think you could use green pepper as well for more color and veggies, I just didn't have any). When all is soft, add chicken stock, 2 cans of white beans, up to a full can of chopped green chili and chicken. Cook until chicken isn't pink. Add salt to taste, coarsely crushed black pepper, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper and parsley for color. Serve with chopped cilantro as desired. Easy, beautiful and so good! If you have a nack for making rolls, that's a great addition as well. I do so love soup. That's one of my favorite things about living in a place that has a winter. Maybe my only favorite thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment